Willand Rovers FC vs Plymouth Parkway

The Pitching In Southern League Div One South
December 27, 2021
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report

Three calamitous defensive errors in the last 15 minutes handed Plymouth Parkway all three points wrapped in a Christmas present from Willand Rovers on Monday at a drenched and excited Silver Street writes Kerry Miller.

It was an unexpected end to a pulsating Southern League Division One South tie which the home side had looked to have had won on the hour when Ben Griffith chested home a Jack Rice-Lethaby cross to make it 3-1 but a remarkable collapse saw Parkway escape back down the A38 with the points.

Rovers were without Noah Coppin who was sitting out the last game of his suspension and began well with Archie Reay, Rice-Lethaby and Kieran Bailey all missing the target with early efforts and it was no real surprise when Rikki Shepherd finished off a counter attack from 12 yards to give his new side the lead on 15 minutes.

Parkway were slow to settle and from another swift counter-attack Shepherd set up Joe Wylie and he side-footed home the second on the half hour.Will Richards then went on a mazy run which earned a free-kick on the edge of the area and Bailey Kempster’s shot was deflected just over.

Parkway should have halved the deficit just short of the break but somehow missed from three yards and after River Allen was cautioned Willand went in at half-time to sit and hear Parkway boss Lee Hobbs launching into his squad. To add to the theatre the heavens opened in readiness for the second half and Hobbs’ pep talk appeared to have had the desired effect as they began well but Willand were soon on the offensive once more as Shepherd and Wylie put Rice-Lethaby in but he could only find the side netting. Wylie then was just wide with another effort and moments later his cross just evaded everybody including the sliding Reay.

Parkway found a way back into the game on the hour when a clumsy challenge just outside the area presented Allen with a free-kick and Harrison Davis’ dummy created a space for the shot to fly in past George Burton in the home goal. Almost straight from the restart Griffith restored to the two-goal advantage but Parkway were never seemingly our of the game on a pitch which was cutting up and on 75 minutes substitute Shane Krac reacted best to an error at the back and made it 3-2 only seconds after being introduced. Krac almost scored again but his deflected effort was nodded off the line but the reprise was short lived as another poor clearance ended with Rio Garside’s composed finish and it was 3-3.

Rovers were shot but Richards’ left foot shot was saved by Tyler Coombes and with the game having broken up Parkway pounced when yet another mistake let in another substitute as Jack Rhead rounded Burton and netted the winner on 90 minutes to send the large away following into orbit.

(Report courtesy of Kerry Miller)

Man of the Match, as selected by Jason & Sharon Stack of JS Engineering SW Ltd, was Rikki Sheppard


Josh Searle
George Burton
Adam Poole
Will Richards
Kieran Bailey
Bailey Kempster
Archie Reay
Jack RiceAssistYellow Card
Ben GriffithGoal
Rikki SheppardGoalAssist
Joe WylieGoal


Louis Jagger-CaneSub
Matt WoodSub
Scott Piper
Travis Yule-Turner
Glenn GouldSub