Willand Rovers 2 Bridport 1

Western League Premier Division

WILLAND Rovers sit third in the Western League Premier Division following Wednesday night’s superb come from behind victory over an impressive Bridport side writes Kerry Miller

Following Saturday’s fine win at champions Odd Down, Rovers had to survive a torrid first half hour when the visiting attack, which included Frome Town’s record goalscorer Mark Salter, threatened to run away with the game. Bridport almost went ahead inside 20 seconds when Ed Butcher brought a save out of Mike Searle then the former Chard man lobbed home minutes later but was pulled back for offside. A poor back pass again let Butcher in but Searle saved to take the pressure off briefly and Adam Hill had a shot blocked from a corner – Willand’s first real attack.

Bridport again moved forward and with referee McKenzie playing a good advantage Butcher found the net with a 25 yard drive to give his side a deserved lead on 21 minutes.

It was an ideal wake up call and Willand began to play with Will Nicholls having a header cleared off the line before Ryan Guppy’s pace on the half hour ended with a cross shot saved by Jason Hutchings. Connor Rush was next to test Hutchings but on 37 minutes Hill’s first time pass allowed Rush to beat the offside trap and equalise under Hutchings with a fine finish.

With the impetus now with the home side they won a free-kick just outside the area and Brett Worbey’s effort found the bottom corner under the despairing dive of Hutchings moments from the break.

Bridport had lost their shape and what looked a potent strike force was largely snuffed out and at the other end Nicholls was wide with an effort for Willand, who enjoyed the bulk of the possession until the last 20 minutes when Bridport began to play again. Salter was just kept out by Kai Fisher and with Butcher and Breaden Symes kept in check Worbey and Nicholls both escaped to go close late on. The misses mattered little as Rovers held out and now prepare to host Bristol side Hallen on Saturday followed by a trip to last year’s Division One runners-up and Somerset Premier Cup winners Wells City on Tuesday.