Sunday, October 12th 2014
League match
Clyst Valley 4 Willand Rovers 5
HT 2-2 (Wright, C, Jones 3, Bastin)

After cup trips to Torquay United’s Plainmoor and Horrabridge, it was back to League action today and a short journey to Clyst Valley at Winslade Park. It’s a good surface and under greying skies, Dave Pointing got the game under way, with Rovers attacking the Westpoint End.

Captain Ash Matthews was on partner-duty and so Jordan Bastin took the armband. Cameron Wright started at right midfield and Tarji Jones joined JJ up front, while Alex Wright slipped in beside Jordan Major at centreback.

The game wasn’t 25 seconds old when the White Ravens took the lead. The ball was swiftly moved out left to Jake Tillet who tricked his way inside before deftly placing a pass to the far post where Cameron Wright slotted home his first for the club.

The next 20 minutes were about Willand trying to get into the game and find a rhythm. Clyst’s 5-man-mdifield was sharper though and they really took the game to the visitors, where under hit passes and a general lack of energy was evident. Jez Cross wasn’t really tested though until a freekick from the left was perfectly flighted to the far post where the ball was volleyed home from 6 yards. It was a deserved reply and how would the White Ravens respond.

With a goal! After 26′, after some determined running, Bastin fed Jones whose 1-2 with JJ game him the space to beat the ‘keeper. Although Willand huffed and puffed, they couldn’t function fluently and Clyst remained a threat. At the other end, JJ missed when set up by Jones and other shots and headers went over or straight into the ‘keepers hands.

Then a freekick for the home team, centrally and around 20 yards out, was brilliantly curled in off the left post for 2-2. Cross had gone for the ball first then left it thinking it would sail wide.

The second half started very well for Clyst Valley who scored from open play and then from another very well struck freekick to take a 2 goal lead, 4-2. It was no more than they deserved because Willand had really not started the half well.

There was a collective urge though to put it right though. Suddenly, there was a better tempo and energy about the team. And when Clyst broke forward, Major and Wright were decisive (late in the game, Alex Wright made a superb last ditch tackle to deny Clyst’s striker a one-v-one).

But before, that Willand scored three times to win the game. Tarji, grabbed his second when he cutely headed a long throw into the far corner on 60′ and then again, he reacted quickly to get the equaliser after good work from JJ and Reece Kingdom.

The winner was scored 10’ from the end by captain Bastin whose near post header could only be mishandled over his line by the CV ‘keeper.

There was still quite along way to go – enough time for Bastin to narrowly fire over from 30 yards and for the visitors to show how much they can fight for crosses from freekicks.

Reece Kingdom stood out as did Jake Tillett and Jack Rawlings.