Hartley Wintney vs Willand Rovers FC

FA Trophy
November 13, 2021
Score: 3 - 0

Match Report

Willand bow out of the FA Trophy after defeat at Premier South Hartney Wintney.

Willand, as last week at Lymington, started this match looking very groggy from the long journey to Hampshire: the hosts on the other hand looked alert and up for the battle ahead. Hartney immediately took the initiative dominating Willand, who looked ponderous and sluggish, and seemingly winning every ball that fell loose.

The first few minutes saw Rovers literally “battered”, and on 10 minutes the pressure resulted in Mitchell Parker converting a pin-point cross 1-0 after some sloppy defending by the visitors.

Willand just could not get a hold of the ball and any period in possession to calm their nerves; Hartney were closing them down quickly and forcing the Rovers players into mistake after mistake when they did get the ball.

On 13 minutes Hartney scored their second, Kingsley Eshun driving the ball home after a powerful run into the visitor’s penalty area. 2-0.

On 17 minutes things went from bad to worse. Eshun again made another surging run into the area only to be felled by a lunging defensive tackle. Penalty. This was confidently converted by Eshun. 3-0 and 3 goals conceded in just 8 minutes.

The half continued with the hosts totally in control, always being quicker to the ball and seeming to pick up every loose ball, but not creating many good scoring opportunities; as last week Rovers just seemed unable to get their game going!

The first half concluded with a red card for the hosts Jacques Kpohomouh; this after a second yellow was given for a deliberate handball on a rare Willand attack. Perhaps the second half would see Rovers have more possession now they had a one man advantage. Ht 3-0.

Willand started the second half as they finished the first, still second best. Early in the second half Rovers slightly reorganising their formation by making two changes, with Louis J-C and Travis Y-T brought on for Ryan Guppy & Rhys Thomas. Would this make a difference?

Rovers did start getting more of the ball and pose some sort of threat, but no real clea cut chances resulted. Hartley still looked compact and organised in defence easily repelling the Rovers attacks and looking dangerous on the break.

On 56 minutes a quicky breakaway attack by the hosts resulted in a second penalty after a mistimed tackled by a Willand defender. George Burton though read Eshun’s mind this time and saved well. Still 3-0.

Rovers should have pulled one back on 72 minutes! Jagger-Cane raced through after some good midfield interchange play to leave himself ono-on-one with the keeper; his shot beat the keeper but it went wide of the right-hand post.

The second half petered out with Rovers having better possession but not creating any real chances and the hosts comfortably holding out to secure their passage to the next round. Ft 3-0.

Another stuttering performance by Rovers and the right result on the day. At least our second half performance gave us hope for the games ahead. We will certainly have to do better in the weeks to come if we want to push above mid-table in the league.


Ryan Guppy
Josh Searle
Private: Adam Hill
George Burton
Private: Noah CoppinYellow Card
Private: Rhys Thomas
Private: Mani Skett
Kieran Bailey
Private: Bailey Kempster
Private: Archie Reay
Private: Ben Griffith


Private: Kieran IrelandSub
Private: Louis Jagger-CaneSub
Private: Matt Wood
David Steele (Manager)
Private: Travis Yule-TurnerYellow CardSub