Mangotsfield United vs Willand Rovers FC

The Pitching In Southern League Div One South
January 22, 2022
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Willand gain a valuable point after 2-2 draw at Mangotsfield’s Cosham Street on Saturday afternoon.

If ever there was a game of four quarters this was it!

The Mangos controlled the first 20 minutes with the visitors struggling to master the pace and presence of Kye Simpson. It was no surprise when, after a long throw-in into the box the ball fell to Simpson who cut inside & drove a fierce shot past George Burton. 1-0. They had the ball in the net again soon after only for it to be ruled out for off-side.

After this goal Rovers seemed spurred into action and started playing the neat quick-passing football we’ve become used to in past weeks. Rovers piled on some pressure: Adam Poole had the ball in the net on 21 minutes only to see it ruled out for off-side. A minute later Willand were back on terms after a stunning passage of play was ended with a cross by Ben Griffith to Noah Coppin who volleyed in from close range. 1-1.

Rovers continued in ascendency, looking capable of scoring on every attack. On 35 minutes they were rewarded with a goal from Bailey Kempster: a quick break down the right driven into the box by Josh Searle, Coppin causing confusion amongst the defenders saw the ball break for Kempster who calmly shot past Radovanovic. 1-2. The Willand pressure continued to half-time, but with no further change in score. Ht 1-2.

The second half started as the first had ended, with the visitors in control and looking threatening. On 65 minutes Griffith weaved through the defence and shot, only to see it come back off the inside of the post and away to safety! Soon after Griffith made a quick break down the right, crossed to Coppin who volleyed just wide.

Midway through the half there was a flurry of substitutions by both sides. This changed the balance of both teams: Willand started to defend deeper and deeper as the Mangos threw caution to the wind in search of an equaliser.

Into the last 10 minutes and Rovers were under immense pressure and were just not able to get out of their own half. Wave after wave of long balls into the Rovers box were taking their toll on the tiring defenders. On 91 minutes there was a goal mouth scramble after one such cross: the ball fell to McBeam who drove through a crowd of players & past the despairing dive of Burton. 2-2 and full time.

This should be seen as a point won by Rovers and not two points lost despite the lateness of the equaliser. On the balance of play this was probably the right result. The lads can hold their heads high after a hard game on a very heavy pitch. Plenty of positives to take forward to our next game at home to Highworth Town on Wednesday evening.


Ryan Guppy
Josh Searle
George Burton
Private: Noah CoppinGoal
Adam Poole
Private: Will RichardsYellow Card
Glenn Gould
Kieran Bailey
Private: Bailey KempsterGoal
Private: Jack Rice
Private: Ben Griffith


Private: Louis Jagger-Cane
David Steele (Manager)
Private: Travis Yule-TurnerSub
Private: Mitch McCannSub
Private: Archie ReaySub