Street  v Willand Rovers:   3 – 2 Steele 38,90

A Dave Steele brace could not stop Willand slipping to their third league defeat of the season. Rovers travelled to unbeaten Street who had only conceded a single goal in their first 5 games of the season. Willand were for large periods of the game the better side but clinical finishing and a very strong penalty shout turned down consigned Willand to a pointless trip back down the M5.

After winning their last two games Willand started like a team full of confidence and for 30 minutes were the only side in the game. Dan Western and Dean Stamp both had a couple of chances to give Willand the lead but shots were either saved or blocked. Whilst Rovers pressed and pressed Street hung on and soaked up the pressure, as it is the way in football Street took the lead on the 31st minute with a goal on the break and very much against the run of play.

Football can be a cruel game and it certainly got crueller when on the 36th minute a cleverly worked free kick meant that Stamp could let fly from 22 yards and his arrow straight shot smashed into the raised hands of the defenders who had 8 or so yards to react, definite penalty even to the most myopic of supports, but much to the disbelief of players and supporters alike play was waved on.

To Rovers credit they galvanised themselves and levelled 2 minutes later when David Steele’s strong shot from 12 yards flew through a crowd of players. Now with their dander up Willand kept pressing on the 40th minute a neat Scott Rogers lay off to James Ansell who feed the ball to Stamp whose shot shaved the post with the keeper well beaten.

Into the second half and it was Street who took control of the score line if not the game. In the 51st minute a defensive error let the Street forward in who was 1 on 1 and scored. The game now became a battle with Street resiliently protecting their lead and despite Willand’s best efforts it was Street who sealed the game in the 81st minute to give themselves a two goal cushion.

But credit to Rovers it was them that finished the game the strongest, never giving up or letting their heads drop. Steele got his second of the match from out wide he swung his shot come cross into the area and the ball avoided everyone and nestled in the far corner. During injury time Willand pressed but could not find the equaliser.

Rovers: Alexander: Wannell ©, Clampin, Hill, Hambly: Steele, Hopkinson, Rogers, Ansell; Dan Western, Stamp. Subs (all used) Baily, Ryan Western, Patchett.